Well it’s been almost a month since my Ex got married and I want to thank you all for the amazing support and reception. My finger literally trembled as I hit the publish button on the first installment of Single Girls Chronicle. It was uber personal to share such humiliating realizations on that vulnerable day.
I had been through so much with this guy. Lets take the photo above for instance… This was on a rough day of dealing with his shit. I was shooting with my photographer and had to take a moment to swiftly wipe a tear away.
I had no idea how I would make it through the shoot until suddenly a cheesy but oh so necessary disco song popped into my head… “At first I was afraid, I was petrified”… You all know the rest.
I’m feeling a little better but still have my moments.
They say that getting over a divorce or bad breakup can exhibit the same symptoms as grieving the death of a loved one. So I’ve gathered songs to fit every stage and help you make it from the dark to triumphant times!
1. DENIAL – You haven’t quite excepted that it’s over. You spend all day on the internet searching ways to get him back and though he’s told you it’s over you can still see a future together. You sing these songs as you fall asleep, drive to work or horrifyingly, on his voice mail.
2. ANGER – You haven’t quite blocked his number yet because you wait for him to call just so you can tell him you don’t want to talk to him. You spend most of your free time telling the world how horrible he is and have probably made a dart board riddled with his face! These songs blare as you chunk all of his crap and maybe even sell his most prized possessions for $1 Waiting to Exhale Style
3. BARGAINING – You look to God and other higher powers for reasoning. You’ll find a lot of “if onlys” and “I will do this for thats” in your vocabulary. Anger fades aways and turns into last ditch efforts or dare I say desperation. This is the point in the game where you may leave begging messages or even show up at their bedroom window with your iPhone pointed up playing these heartbreakers.
4. Depression – This is the stage where reality initially sets in. They’re gone and never coming back in the capacity to which you’ve wanted. I’m going to be honest… This is the stage I’m in. You put on a brave smile during the day, only to rush home and crawl into bed. Even if you know it’s for the best, it still hurts and you have to let yourself feel this moment. If you notice yourself slipping and feel darker everyday please seek help. Know you’re not alone and this is nothing to be ashamed of. We’ve all either been there or will at some point. Treat yourself to a day in your favorite pajamas, curl up with a soft blanket and listen to the following tunes…
Maybe I Should Call – K. Michelle
It Must’ve Been Love – Roxette
I Wish I Never Met Her – Carl Thomas
Like the Sea – Alicia Keys
How Could You – K-Ci & JoJo
Try Sleeping With a Broken Heart – Alicia Keys
Somebody Else – Rico Love
Lose to Win – Fantasia
Dancing On My Own – Robyn
5. Acceptance – You wake in the morning with energy. You clean your house, do your laundry, visit friends and catch up on other things you’ve neglected. You feel brand new and the hope of being with your ex not only fades but seems less desirable everyday. I can’t wait to see this stage. Let’s get there together and when we do we’ll put on that pretty dress, slip on the sickest heels and joyously sing along with the following beats!
Music to My Soul – Cee Lo
Happy – Pharrell
I Love Me – Meghan Trainor
Beyonce – Party
The Man – Aloe Black
Titanium – David Guetta & Sia
I Will Survive – Gloria Gaynor
I’m Coming Out – Diana Ross
Love Myself – Hailee Steinfeld
We Are Young (Jersey Club Remix) – Kyle Edwards & DJ Smallz 732
All the Way Up – Fat Joe, Remy Ma & French Montana
No Problem – Chance the Rapper
Father Stretch My Hands – Kanye West
24K Magic – Bruno Mars
I’d LOVE to hear from you guys. In which stage are you and what’s your favorite break up song to bump?
Single Girls Chronicle: Perfect Break Up Songs